Discovery Communications’ CEO David Zaslav was the the highest paid CEO among public companies in the US last year, taking home $156.1 million, 368% more than 2013.
In doing so, he created a new record for the highest CEO pay in nine years of Equilar’s research on the topic.
Partnering with The New York Times, Equilar’s study found Michael Fries of Liberty Global, and Mario Gabelli of GAMCO Investors, taking silver and bronze spots with $111.9 million and $88.5 million, respectively.
In fourth place was Microsoft’s Satya Nadella with his $84.3 million annual paycheck, followed by Nicholas Woodman, who founded sports-camera company GoPro.
No women CEO’s featured in the top 10, with the highest paid woman CEO only coming in at rank 14th, bagged by Yahoo’s Marissa Mayer, who made $42.1 million.
The technology sector dominated, featuring four out the top ten CEOs.
A bulk of the overall compensation across the board came in the form of stock, some of which vests over several years, noted The New York Times.
However, some chief executives received generous cash bonuses, a form of compensation that does little to incentivise long-term performance.
On average, the 200 best paid chief executives received $22.6 million, trumping last year’s average of $20.7 million, while the median was 2014 was $17.6 million.
For the first time since Equilar started keeping tracking in 2006, all 10 of the top-paid CEOs received at least $50 million last year.
The following is the top 10 list of the highest paid CEOs in 2014:
1. Discovery Communications, David M. Zaslav – $156.1 million
2. Liberty Global, Michael T. Fries – $111.9 million
3. Gamco Investors, Mario J. Gabelli – $88.5 million
4. Microsoft, Satya Nadella – $84.3 million
5. GoPro, Nicholas Woodman – $77.4 million
6. Liberty Media & Liberty Interactive, Gregory B. Maffei – $73.8 million
7. Oracle, Lawrence J. Ellison – $67.3 million
8. Qualcomm, Steven M. Mollenkopf – $60.7 million
9. NorthStar Realty Finance, David T. Hamamoto II – $60.3 million
10. CBS, Leslie Moonves – $54.4 million