SUBSCRIBE: Newsletter

Human Resources



Are these the most inexcusable job seeker mistakes?

Hong Kong HR Masterclass Series: 19th June 2020 Data Analytics for HR
Become a true strategic partner to the business by leveraging data and analytics to make strategic talent decisions.
Register now here

A new survey has identified the five areas of the recruitment process in which job seekers are most likely to let hiring managers down. A lack of customisation, personalisation and follow-up are among the top reasons for recruiters to look elsewhere for the right candidate.

The national survey was conducted online within the United States on behalf of CareerBuilder. The researchers asked 3,244 full-time employees across multiple industries and company sizes about their job seeking practices.

The results suggests that candidates are mainly failing to live up to hiring managers’ expectations in the following five areas of the job seeking process:

1. Customising their cv for the specific job
Out of the 3,244 respondents, 54% said that they do not tailor their cv to match the job description, leaving the hiring manager to base their decision on generic skills and experience.

2. Personalising their application
Only 16% of job seekers find out the hiring manager’s name and personalize the application. The other 84% don’t make the effort.

3. Including a cover letter
Just under half (45%) of respondents do not include a cover letter when sending their cv, making it harder for the hiring manager to get to know the candidate and assess their credentials.

4. Following up after applying
Over a third (37%) of job seekers don’t follow up after they have applied for a position, despite this being a helpful reminder for the hiring manager of their motivation and interest.

5. Sending thank-you notes after interview
A staggering 57% of respondents said they don’t send thank-you notes after an interview. As most hiring managers expect one, this is guaranteed to make them stand out in a bad way.

According to Rosemary Haefner, chief human resources officer for CareerBuilder, new technology is tempting candidates into quickly submitting applications without fulfilling these basic requirements hiring managers are looking for.

“But, just because they are able to submit an application easier, doesn’t mean candidates can skip basic steps – or requirements – like submitting a cover letter or customizing their resumes,” Haefner says in a press release. “These items get the attention of recruiters and hiring managers, and leaving them out of the process can hurt a job seeker’s chances of securing a new job.”

ALSO READ: The 10 strangest things candidates have done in job interviews

Image: 123RF

Human Resources magazine and the HR Bulletin daily email newsletter:
Asia's only regional HR print and digital media brand.
Register for your FREE subscription now »

Read More News


Leave a Reply

You must be logged in to post a comment.